Entertaiment

Police name Barcelona attack suspect

Police name Barcelona attack suspect

Five were shot dead by police early Friday in Cambrils, where a second van attack left one pedestrian dead hours after the Barcelona van attack.

A Spanish official has said that the death toll from last week's terrorism attacks in Barcelona and Cambrils has risen to 15.

Regional authorities said 50 people were still hospitalized from both attacks, nine in critical condition. The other is Spanish.

The identities of the other two shot by police are yet to be confirmed by authorities. He said the suspect was wearing what turned out to be a fake explosives belt.

Abouyaaquob was named as the man who drove the van that mowed down pedestrians in the city's popular tourist spot Las Ramblas, killing 13 pedestrians and injuring 120 others.

The four suspected members of a terror cell - the only members believed to be alive - appeared in a Madrid court Tuesday in connection with the attacks in Spain last week that killed 15 people.

The death toll in Spain's terror attacks has risen to 15, Catalonia's regional minister Joaquim Forn said on Monday, after a man found stabbed dead in a auto outside Barcelona was linked to the case.

More news: Provident Financial shares plunge after second profit warning
More news: Big Update On Major Possible Spoiler For Tonight's WWE SmackDown Live
More news: Milan's Summer Shopping Continues With Kalinic Signing

As was previously reported, at least 100 people were injured and 13 people were killed after a van plowed into a crowd at the Las Ramblas area of Barcelona on Thursday. He said that the new victim, Pau Perez, 35, was found stabbed in a vehicle that was believed to be used by one of the attackers to flee the scene.

Police are searching for 22-year-old Younes Abouyaaqoub (above), who is believed to have driven the van in the attack.

Police in Catalonia said three of the suspects shot dead in Cambrils were Moroccan nationals, identifying them as Moussa Oukabir, 17, Said Aallaa, 18, and Mohamed Hychami, 24.

"We don't have any specific information on this but it can not be ruled out", Josep Lluis Trapero told a news conference in Barcelona on Sunday, adding that border checks had been reinforced immediately after the attacks. The documents say the cell had to improvise or carry out alternate plans of violence after the house where they were making bombs exploded on Wednesday night.

"They were preparing one or several attacks in Barcelona, and an explosion in Alcanar stopped this as they no longer had the material they needed to commit attacks of an even bigger scope", said Josep Lluis Trapero of Catalonia's police.

"The group came to work in Paris, but it was a quick in-and-out trip", he said.

The 21-year-old man from the Spanish exclave Melilla in North Africa was attempting to manufacture a bomb when his device accidentally detonated last week, destroying a warehouse, prosecutors alleged.