World News

Hawaii panics over 'missile strike' false alarm

Hawaii panics over 'missile strike' false alarm

A second alert was sent that read: "There is no missile threat or danger to the State of Hawaii".

For almost 40 minutes, it seemed like the world was about to end in Hawaii, an island paradise already jittery over the threat of nuclear-tipped missiles from North Korea. "The wrong button was pushed", Miyagi said of alert system at the press conference, whose resignation was demanded by angry locals on their twitter and Facebook accounts.

This is the statement sent out: "Ballistic missile threat inbound to Hawaii".

Approximately 10 minutes after the initial alert went out, the Hawaii Emergency Management Agency tweeted that there was no threat. "We are going to process this and study this to make sure this doesn't happen again".

The state adjutant general, Maj.

Miyagi said he meant to produce a report about the incident by next week.

The backlash from lawmakers was swift.

The panic ensued after the Hawaii Emergency Management Agency mistakenly sent out an alert that warned residents of an imminent ballistic missile strikeand urged them to "seek immediate shelter".

"This system we have been told to rely upon failed and failed miserably today", said House of Representative speaker Scott Saiki.

"I could see fighter jets and warships, and I thought this might be the most unsafe place to be in the event of an emergency or conflict", Wada said.

"Measures must be taken to avoid further incidents that caused wholesale alarm and chaos today".

A screen capture from a Twitter account showing a missile warning for Hawaii, U.S., January 13, 2018 in this picture obtained from social media.

More news: National Weather Service warns of freezing rain, sleet, snow
More news: Timeline of protests over 7-year-old Zainab's rape, murder in Pakistan
More news: 'Mummy, what's felching?' Tot gets smut served by Android app

The alert was a false alarm, a fact that was only transmitted to the recipients of the original notification after more than 30 minutes, according to the Washington Post. His wife was at the gym.

The snafu comes amid heightened tensions between the United States and North Korea, which has been sanctioned over missile tests. But there were problems there, too.

In December, the state tested its nuclear warning siren for the first time since the end of the Cold War. At the tourist mecca of Waikiki, the sirens were barely audible, prompting officials to add more sirens there and to reposition ones already in place.

Ikaika Hussey, 39, publisher of Summit Magazine and candidate for Honolulu City Council, was home with his children when he got the alert. "She became hysterical, crying, you know, just lost it", she said. She awakened her 16-year-old daughter with the news.

She questioned why it took civil defense so long to send out the all-clear and why they tweeted before sending a mobile push alert.

"Several of my friends also called me or informed me through the WeChat app after missile alert mistake", said Wu. "A day when many in our community thought that our worst nightmare might actually be happening".

Andy Priest said his parents thought they would die when the warning came.

"It was a false alarm, but betting a lot of people are shaken", she wrote. "And I'm sorry for that pain and confusion that anyone might have experienced".

On the H-3, a major highway north of Honolulu, vehicles sat empty after drivers left them to run to a nearby tunnel after the alert showed up, the Honolulu Star-Advertiser reported.

Trump was wrapping up a round of golf at Trump International Golf Club in West Palm Beach, Florida when the incident was unfolding.

"We're coming down outside of Frear (Hall) and see people running past us".